A Solution Focused Approach To Severe Trauma & Stress Recovery
This workshop will provide participants with easy-to-learn-and-apply solution focused tools and techniques to enable victims of severe trauma and stress to get their lives back on track.
Initially, importance is placed on affirming and empowering victims of trauma to regain control over symptoms. The six fields of work - triggers, flashbacks, intrusive thoughts, sleep disturbance, ‘the lows’ and living life to the full, are examined in detail to give participants increased understanding and confidence in working with this client group in a specialised solution focused way.
Intended Learning Outcomes
At the end of the workshop attendees will be able to:
- Demonstrate an increased understanding of severe trauma and/or stress
- Know the difference between the ‘victimhood’, ‘survivorhood’ and ‘living life well’/’thriverhood’
- Understand the basic solution focused tools & techniques used with this group of service users
- Use a variety of specialised tools and techniques for helping those involved move further towards living life well
- Recognise how the specialised techniques can be applied to all types of trauma
- Appreciate the pitfalls when working with severe trauma and/or stress
- Highlight the most helpful and useful questions to ask
- Understand the key ways staff can look after themselves to enable them to undertake this important work
- Feel more confident in their work with a wide range of service users who have experienced severe trauma and/or stress.
About The Presenter
John Henden has a background in psychology, is a qualified counsellor and a member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy. For over 20 years he worked within the National Health Service in the UK both as a clinician and in management roles before establishing his training and consultancy firm. He regularly presents on a range of solution focused topics in different international forums, and has received particular acclaim for his work on solution focused suicide prevention and intervention.
John is an author, and his best-selling book ‘Preventing Suicide: The Solution Focused Approach‘, is now into its second edition. His new book 'What It Takes To Thrive: Techniques for Severe Trauma and Stress Recovery' deals with all aspects of severe trauma and stress recovery by offering tools and techniques to manage triggers, flashbacks or intrusive thoughts, helping survivors to regain control of their lives.
His energetic and captivating presentation style, utilizing multiple teaching mediums, ensures delegates will leave equipped to incorporate this ground breaking intervention model immediately, into their work with at-risk people.